In June 2010, I passed the IGBC AP exam. As I was preparing for this course, I searched Internet to get advice, study material, and question papers and the result was…ZERO. Nothing is available on the net and most of the information was pertaining to Green Building exam of USA (LEED AP).
So, I decided to write about it to help the others who want to make a career in Green Buildings. This information will help you if you’re preparing for the IGBC AP test.
As this test is designed to test the knowledge of a candidate on green building design and construction, it is not compulsory to have any practical knowledge of green building construction & design and does not need to attend any institution to learn the syllabus. It only needs candidate’s interest on green building/energy efficiency /sustainable building construction & practices.
As I mentioned above, there is no third party or free references guides available for this exam. Only reference available at free of cost is abridged version of IGBC rating system and Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) by Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE). These books will give you enough knowledge to get 50 to 70% of marks. As the minimum percentage of marks required to pass this exam is 80%(85 out of 110 questions), you have to read few more books.
- The best way to pass this exam is to buy a detailed reference guide priced at Rs. 1000. Go to the IGBC – AP site for the address of CII and contact them through snail mail or by calling them on the telephone numbers mentioned to get the details about this book.
- If you are from construction side, go through the Best Management Practices section in National Building Code India book.
- Attend green building training programme conducted by IGBC. Check IGBC website to get details of training programmes.
- Search internet for USGBC LEED reference guides which are available in some torrent sites (though it is illegal).
- Download USGBC’s reference books from their website and go through them to get knowledge, which even helps you in green building designing and practicing.
- Get the basic knowledge of ASHRAE standards.
Still have questions? Post in comments and I will answer them whenever I become free. I am thinking to prepare few model questions, so that you can understand how the exam will look like. Stay tuned!